The dictionary meaning of building is very simple, it simply indicates anything that is built with walls and a roof. the term building in civil engineering parlance is used mean a structure having various components like foundations, walls, columns, floors, roofs, doors, windows, ventilators, stairs, lifts, various types of surface finishes, etc. as a civil engineer is mainly concerned with the construction of various components of a building.
various types of building
The society requires the building for its various activities and accordingly, the buildings can be grouped for convenience as follows:
- Assembly building where group of amusement, recreation, religious, social, travels and similar purposes and they include exhibition halls, museums, skating rings, restaurant’s, gymnasiums, etc.
- Business buildings like banks, offices, shops courts, stores, markets, etc.
- Educational buildings such as school, collages, libraries, universities, etc.
- Hazardous buildings which are used for handling, manufacture, storage or processing of highly explosive or combustible materials or products and they include magazines, especially prepared stores, etc.
- Health building Like hospitals, nursing homes, dispensaries, sanatoriums’, etc.
- Industrial buildings like factories, workshops, laboratories, sanatoriums, etc.
- Institutional buildings like home for the aged people, jails, prisons, mental hospitals, reformatories, etc.
- Recreation buildings like theaters, town halls, cinemas, clubs, hotels, etc.
- Residential building such as bungalows, flats, row houses, dormitories, etc.
- Storage buildings such as Godowns, warehouses, cold storages, stables, garages, hangars, transit sheds, etc.
- Transportation buildings like railway stations, bus stations, air terminals, etc.
- Worship buildings like temples, churches, mosques, etc.